Dr Tim Elmore is a leadership expert and author, and he works a lot with young people to support them to become leaders of the future. He’s written about how parents are sometimes the ones responsible for stopping their children from becoming leaders by exhibiting damaging behaviour that prevents their individual development.
In suggesting what parents often get wrong, he lists:
- Not letting their kids experience risk
- Rescuing them too quickly
- Not sharing their own past mistakes with them
- Mistaking intelligence for emotional maturity
- Not practising what they preach
Sorry … did he say parents … or leaders?